question-mark-160071 640The PWV website continues to evolve, with goals of addressing member (and public) feedback, keeping the site current and easy to use, and also easier to maintain.

To get you oriented and up to speed, here is a short Frequently Asked Question (FAQ) list about using the website. If you have further questions please contact us (use the Contact Us button at the top of the page) and we will do our best to answer your questions.

 FAQ Contents

Password/Login Questions

Q: As a PWV member, how do I login to the PWV website?

A: Historically there have been two different websites used by PWV members, which led to some confusion among our users. Starting in the 2016 patrol season, there is a "single sign-on" capability so that the two sites are more integrated. Here is how it works:

  1. Start with the PWV website and login with your username and password.
  2. Under the Members menu select USFS Patrolling Website.
  3. A new tab will open in your browser, automatically logged into your account for the USFS Patrolling Website.

Q: Can I still directly access the USFS Trail Scheduling and Reporting website?

A: Yes, if you prefer to directly go to the USFS Patrolling Website that will still work.

Q: Why are there actually two websites?

The USFS Patrol Scheduling and Reporting website is the responsibility of the USFS Canyon Lakes Ranger District (CLRD) and it is used to support the activities of multiple volunteer groups run out of CLRD.  While PWV is the largest volunteer group, we are just one of many that CLRD needs to manage.  The purpose of the USFS Trail Scheduling and Report website is a member-only site where members schedule and report patrols and log their non-patrolling volunteer hours.

The PWV website is to address the additional website content that we want for PWV members and for the public.  This site contains information of interest to the public (e.g. trail descriptions), is used by PWV for fund-raising and recruiting purposes, provides a document repository capability and more.

From a practical standpoint, and from USFS regulations, we are not able to combine these two sites into a single website (at least at this time).  Hence the work to add single sign-on as a step towards integration.

Q: I tried to change my password on the USFS Patrol Scheduling and Reporting website by clicking the Forgot Your Password button, but it tells me my e-mail address is wrong. What's going on?

A: You have to log into the Trail Scheduling and Reporting website at least once before you try to change your password. Most people run into this problem when they try to change their default password before logging in with it.

Q: I changed my password on the PWV website but it doesn't work on the USFS Patrol Scheduling and Reporting website (or visa versa). Why not?

A: Yes, it is confusing that we have two completely separate and independent websites. Until the two sites are integrated into one, however, you have to change your password on both sites.  We recommend that you use the same password on both sites to make things easier to remember.

Q: How do I change my password on the PWV website?

A: Log onto the PWV website. Under the Members menu select Change Password.

Q: How do I change my password on the USFS Patrol Scheduling and Reporting website?

A: Log onto the Trail Scheduling and Reporting website at least once. Now log out of the site. On the login page, click the "Forgot your password" link. Follow the instructions for resetting your password.

Q. What should I do if I don't remember my username (or password) to the USFS Patrol Scheduling and Reporting website?

A. Go to the USFS Patrol Scheduling and Reporting website. You will need to know the email address associated with your account. If you forgot your username, then click the "Forgot your username?" link and enter your e-mail address in the form. Your username will be e-mailed to you. If you forgot your password, then click the "Forgot your Password?" link and and enter your e-mail address in the form. A new password will be e-mailed to you. You can use this same button if you want to change your password, too.

Q. What should I do if I don't remember my username (or password) to PWV website?

A. Go to the PWV website and follow the menu pick Members -> Member Login.  Then click the "Forgot Login?" link. Indicate whether you have forgotten your username or password, then enter your e-mail address in the form. A new username or password will be e-mailed to you if your e-mail address is registered with the web page as a member.  If you don't like the new password generated for you by the system, you can change it to whatever you like after you login (see FAQ item on this above).

Q: What if I am still having problems with logging into the PWV or USFS Patrol Scheduling and Reporting websites?

A: On the PWV website select the Contact Us menu and send a query to the PWV Webteam.

 USFS Volunteer Agreement Annual Form Questions

Q: By when do I have to submit the form?

A: Recommended by January 13th of every year, but definitely a minimum of two weeks prior to doing any volunteering for PWV.

Q: What if I don't submit it on time? 

A: Soon after January 13th, you will be deactivated from Scheduling and Reporting patrols. You will still be able to access your profile to print out an agreement form; just not be able to schedule and report patrols.

Q: How do I fill out and submit the form?

  1. Sign into website under top right "Members" tab clicking on "Member Login".
  2. Choose "USFS Patrolling Website" under that heading.
  3. Select "Member Information" in the menu bar.
  4. Select "Edit Your Profile" and ensure all your information is filled in and up-to-date
  5. If you made changes be sure to "Save" at the bottom.
  6. Select "Member Information" in the menu bar again.
  7. Select "Print Volunteer Agreement".
  8. Depending on your browser, this might download the PDF file or open a pop-up window asking you to Open or Save the file.
  9. Open the file and review your information:
    1. If you need to make changes, go back to Step 3; 
    2. If all is in order, Print the agreement (double-sided if you can).
  10. Sign and date in Block 34. Original signatures required; digital signatures not permitted.
  11. USFS requires a physical printed page; therefore:
    1. Drop off the Form at the Forest Service office;
    2. Or mail it to:
Kevin Cannon
PWV Agreement
2150 Centre Ave, Bldg E
Fort Collins, CO 80526
Q: Any reminders?
Review boxes checked in Block 33 of Form:
  • Make sure you have read and checked 4th Box for Hazard Tree Training. To read Hazard Tree Training, go back to Step 2 above and select "Hazard Tree Training (pdf)" from "Member Information" drop-down menu.
  • If you checked 2nd Box for medical condition or physical limitation, you will need a note from your doctor to accompany the agreement. The doctor can use the description on the front of the Form to know what conditions to assess for your participation level.

USFS Patrolling Website Questions

Q: How do I get to the USFS Patrol Scheduling and Reporting website?

A: Go to the PWV website and under the Members menu select Member Login and login to your account.  Then return to the Members menu and select USFS Patrolling Website.  This will create a new browser tab opened to the USFS Scheduling and Reporting website, already logged into your account.

Note that previous methods of accessing the USFS Scheduling and Reporting website will still work.  For example, it will still work if you have bookmarked the USFS Patrol Scheduling and Reporting website and you login directly to this website.

Q: What data do I need to collect while patrolling?

A: Go to the PWV website and  under the Members menu select Member Login  and login to your account.  Then return to the Members menu and select Member Downloads. This page has a Patrolling Essentials section where you will find a Trail Report Form. Print it out and take it with you as a guide for what information to collect while you are on patrol.

You should also familiarize yourself with the forest regulations and the violations that we report on. Information on these can be found in the latest PWV Field Guide and in the current Patrol Descriptions. Copies of these can be downloaded from the same Patrolling Essentials page where the Trail Report Form is located.

Q: How do I fill a report for a scheduled patrol?

A: Start by going to the USFS Patrol Scheduling and Reporting website as described above.  After logging in, you will see a list of your unreported patrols at the start of your home page. Click on the date of the patrol to open the form for filing a report. After you have entered data on all the tabs for the form, click on the Save button at the bottom.

The report will now be listed on your home page in the Completed Patrols section. Click on the date to edit the report. Make your changes or additions on each of the tabs, then click the Save button at the bottom of the form.
Note that by hovering your cursor for a moment over a link on the home page or a field label on the form, often help text will display which will tell you what the link does or what type of data to enter into the form's field.

Q: How do I access previous patrol reports?

A: Start by going to the USFS Patrol Scheduling and Reporting website as described above.  Under the the Patrols menu select List Patrol Reports. You can filter the displayed report list by date, trail, etc., by using the selection lists at the top of the page and clicking the Go button.

Q: How do I delete a scheduled patrol?

A: Start by going to the USFS Patrol Scheduling and Reporting website as described above.  If you are scheduled as a member of the patrol, it will be listed on your home page in either the Unreported Patrols or the Upcoming Patrols section. First click on the date to edit the scheduled item. Then, at the bottom of the page, click on the Delete button.

Updating Your Personal Information Question

Q. How do I update my personal information such as phone number, email address, street address?

A. Your personal Profile is maintained on the USFS Scheduling and Reporting Website. Go to the PWV website and take the following steps:

  1. Click on Members pull-down tab (top right)
  2. Select Member Login
  3. Select USFS Patrolling Website
  4. Select Member Information (top left pull-down tab)
  5. Select Edit Your Profile
  6. Update your information
  7. Click on Save (bottom of form)

PWV Website Questions

Q. How do I get to the Member Downloads section of the PWV website?

A. Go to the PWV website and  under the Members menu select Member Login   and login to your account.  Then return to the Members menu and select Member Downloads.

Q: How do I change my email on the PWV website to ensure I continue to receive organization email?

A: All the profile information for PWV members should be updated on the USFS Patrol Scheduling and Reporting website (under the Member Information menu).  Any change you make to your email will automatically be updated in the lists for broadcast email. 

Patrol Information Questions

Q: How can I get a copy of the current Training Manual?
A: A PDF version of the current edition of the Training Manual is posted on the Members Download section of PWV website; you can read it there or download and print it. You can also download it to an e-book reader. If you want a paper copy, you might also get lucky if you call the Training Manual Editor and ask for a copy.

Q. What's an e-book reader?
A. An e-reader, also called an e-book reader or e-book device, is a mobile electronic device that is designed primarily for the purpose of reading digital e-books and periodicals.  Modern phones, tablets, and computers have applications for reading e-books.

Q: I don't see the Patrol Descriptions in the new Training Manual. Where are they?
A: PDF versions of all the Patrol Descriptions are available in the Members Download section of the PWV website.

Q: Why can't I just use my old Patrol Descriptions?
A: Patrol descriptions are regularly updated. Your old ones may not contain important information about trails, sources of water, recommended camping locations, cautions, issues, seasonal information, and special regulations. Also, some trails have been re-routed for various reasons, including previous years’ floods and fires. 

Q: Do I have to go the USFS Visitor Center to get a current Pocket Patrol Guide?
A: No, you can download the Pocket Patrol Guide (PPG) from the Member Downloads section of the PWV website. Select the Patrolling Essentials link to find this and other information to download and print to take with you on patrol.

Q: How can I learn more about PWV’s Noxious Weeds program?
A: Noxious Weeds is now Chapter 9 in the current Training Manual. Also on the PWV website, under Members, Member Downloads, Weed Maps, you can find locations of weed polygons on selected trails and the “Where the Weeds Are” table.

Patrol Reporting Questions

Q: I can't put the number of dogs I contacted into the reporting website. Is this a bug?

A: No, it is not a bug. We are only interested in contacts you make with people, not with animals. So, in the Observations section of the report, just enter the number of dogs and of other animals that you see, and don't enter a number in the Contacted column. For dog observations, you need to count the number on and off leash.  There are check boxes for dogs on-leash and dogs off-leash

In addition to the total number of dogs seen that you report in the Observations section, you must also report, in the Violations section, the number of dog off leash/out of control violations you see. Report the number of violations (in the Seen column), and the number of these violations for which you contacted the person or people responsible for the dog. This second number goes in the Contacted column.

We expect you to contact, if possible, any owner of a dog that is in violation of the trail regulations. A dog violation occurs if a dog is off-leash (or not in voice control, depending upon where you are and whether the owner is a hiker or rider) in an area where regulations require the dog to be on-leash or in voice control. This will require you to be familiar with the dog regulations on the trail you are patrolling. You can find this information in the current PWV Field Guide and in the current Patrol Descriptions, both of which are available to you on the PWV website when you are logged in as a member.

Q. It seems to me the number of "seen" visitors, plus the number of "contacted" visitors, should equal the total number of visitors on the trail. Is this correct?

A. No, the total number of visitors on a trail is the number you have "seen." A subset of that number will be visitors you have "contacted." In other words, a contacted visitor will be listed (and counted) in both the Seen  and Contacted fields of your report form.

Q: If I see something neat or dangerous on a trail, how can I let people know about it?

A: A simple way to communicate this information to all PWVs is to describe the sighting in the Comments field when you fill out your trail patrol report on the USFS Patrol Scheduling and Reporting website. If it is an immediate safety concern you should notify our US Forest Service contact (Kevin C.)

Q: If I do not encounter visitors of a certain category, trees down, etc. is it best to place a zero in the box or leave it blank?

A: It is best to leave it blank. That makes the report more concise and summary reports short and sweet.

Q: I don’t carry a GPS. How can I estimate the distance from the trailhead better?

A: One way is to use the elevation profile on the current patrol description as a guide. On many trails, quite a few landmarks are given and you can see the mileage from the trailhead there.

Q: How can I learn how to write more accurate patrol reports?

A: The first and easiest step is to hover the cursor over the field names of the reporting section of the USFS Patrol Scheduling and Reporting website. Help text will pop up to help you understand exactly what data is requested. Also, the Trail Patrolling Committee is available to assist you with your questions (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.).

Trail Restoration Day Questions

Q: Can I bring my son or daughter with me to work on the trails?

A: Everyone in the public is welcome to participate in Trail Restoration Day as long as they are at least 18 years old. Young adults must be at least 15 years old, if they are accompanied by a parent. 

Q: What are the Forest Service requirements for participating in Trail Restoration Day?

A: All participants must be at least 18 year old, or 15 if accompanied by a parent. No dogs, guns, or alcohol are allowed. Each participant must fill out and sign a USFS Volunteer Agreement that indicates they have no health/medical conditions inconsistent with the work to be done if such an Agreement is not already on file with the USFS.

Q: What should I wear to Trail Restoration Day?

A: You should wear a long sleeve shirt and long pants (no shorts), work gloves, and sturdy work boots or closed-toed shoes. Be sure you wear clothes you can get muddy and dirty. You should carry rain gear and enough warm clothes to spend 6-7 hours outside in Colorado in any weather imaginable. If inclement weather hits, you may be a long way from your car or shelter.

Q: What should I bring to Trail Restoration Day?

A: Each person should bring their own water (two liters minimum), snacks, sun screen, extra clothes, and rain gear in a small day pack.

Q: How long is the work day?

A: Work hours are hard to predict, but we try to start work at the trailhead between 9:00AM and 9:30AM and plan to be back at the trailhead by 4:00PM. This usually means arriving at the trailhead between 8:30AM and 9:00AM so we can divide into work groups, distribute tools, and take care of any last minute registration issues.

Q: Can I carpool with someone to get to the work site?

A: Yes, parking at the trailhead is usually extremely limited and we discourage everyone from driving to the site. We organize carpools from locations in Fort Collins and Loveland. You will receive explicit instructions prior to the Trail Restoration Day if you register on the Trail Restoration Sign-Up page. We try to arrange carpools so they arrive on site between 8:30AM and 9:00AM.

Q: What do I get for participating in Trail Restoration Day?

A: Mostly you get the satisfaction of doing a job that really needs doing. The overwhelming reason most people participate is they experience a feeling of giving something back to the country they so love to spend time in. But, we also give you something to eat for lunch.

Q: How do I sign up for a Trail Restoration Day?

A: You need to register for the day you are interested in attending on our Trail Restoration Sign-Up page.

Equipment Check-Out Questions

Q: How do I reserve a SPOT, GPS, USFS Radio, or other PWV equipment I need for a patrol or presentation?

A: You can now reserve your patrol or presentation equipment online. You will be required to login with your PWV account.

You must be an active PWV member to reserve equipment. Reservation should be submitted at least 72 hours in advance.

In the online form, you will need to provide the following information:

  1. Your name
  2. Your email address
  3. Your phone number (in case there are reservation issues)
  4. The purpose of your reservation (e.g. Patrol, Leave No Trace, Trailhead Hostingl or Presentation)
  5. The number of quantities
  6. The equipment you want to reserve  (SPOT Unit, GPS Unit, USFS Radio, Projector, Projector Remote Control, Projector Screen, LNT Books, TH Hosting Box)
  7. Extra Batteries (Yes or No)
  8. What trail(s) you will be patrolling
  9. What patrol type you will be doing (e.g., Mentor, Trail Crew, Restoration, Weed Crew, Kids in Nature, etc.)
  10. The date of your pick-up and drop-off
  11. The location where you want to pick the equipment up (e.g., Visitor Center, Arrowhead, etc.)
  12. Optional comments if needed
  13. The choices and questions on the Form will be relevant to the "Purpose" selected.

For questions regarding equipment reservation, please send email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

For issues regarding form, please send email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

How to Post Non-Trail Activities on USFS Patrolling Website

Q: How do I report non-trail activity hours?

A: Did you know that in addition to filing your patrol reports, you should also be reporting your non-trail activity hours on the USFS Patrolling website?

What do we mean by non-trail activities?

Board * Committee * Training * Patrol Planning & Prep * Website/Database * Travel Time

Examples: Patrol Planning & Prep, includes reviewing/sending emails, telephone calls, getting your gear and food ready, reviewing checklist and trail guide for patrols.

Committee work applies to many other events for PWV, including drive time. Some committee chairs, such as Affiliations will report your attendance at meetings or events; some don’t. If you work from home on a project to prepare for a committee meeting or event, it is very important that you post your non-trail activity time for that committee.

When you file a patrol report, the time from the USFS office in Fort Collins to the trailhead is automatically included in each report; you should also include the time you travel from your home to the USFS office as non-patrolling hours.

The CLRD tracks this time, and it has a bearing on funding for the CLRD.

PWV is a 501(c)(3) organization, so if you itemize deductions when you file your income tax, you should also be tracking your mileage for PWV patrols and/or meetings. It is listed as a charitable donation. Also, your expenses for a shirt, jacket, name badge, or other item (first aid kit, map, compass, GPS, SPOT or InReach, etc.) that you use for PWV patrols/events are also deductible.

How should you keep track of your hours? Some of us keep track of our non-trail activities in a spreadsheet, others use our calendars. Some enter the activities daily, weekly, monthly or at the end of the season. Do what works for you.

Any question, please contact . . . This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

PWV Photo Submittal Questions

Q: I have a photo or several photos from my PWV patrol illustrating trail maintenance needs such as tree deadfall across trail, trail tread problems, defective bridges, defective signage. How do I submit them for corrective action?

A: Note the situation and availability of photos in Comments//Description in the relevant table of your Patrol Report. Email the photos with description of the situation to photos4-trailcrew (add for email address). In your description with the email, include:

  • Patrol Report # in which the trail maintenance needs in photo(s) are documented.
  • Date of Patrol
  • Name of Trail
  • Location of photo such as distance from a reference point (preferable) and/or GPS coordinates
  • Your name

A Trail Crew member will acknowledge your submittal.

Q: I found a suspected noxious weed I can’t identify, and I took one or more photos of it. To whom can I send the photo(s) for identification?

A: Note the availability of photo in your Patrol Report in the Observations -> Noxious Weeds -> Other table. Email the photo to photos4-weedcrew (add for email address). In your description with the email, include:

  • Patrol Report # in which the weed Observation is reported.
  • Date of Patrol
  • Name of Trail
  • Location of weed photo such as distance from a reference point (preferable) and/or GPS coordinates
  • Your name

A Weed Crew member will respond to your query.

Q: I have a few good photos from a PWV Patrol or other PWV event that I would like to share on PWV Facebook. How can I get them posted?

A: Email the photos along with a descriptive paragraph to photos4-facebook (add for email address) and your name. One of the members of the Facebook Team will acknowledge your submittal and arrange for posting on PWV Facebook. Be sure to get verbal OK for Facebook posting from people in photo. On Facebook only first names are posted of people in photos. Do not submit any photos from Kids In Nature events without permission from the Kids in Nature Chair.

A PWV Facebook Team member will acknowledge receipt of your input and post it.

Miscellaneous Questions

Q. What is the best way to keep up with what is going on in PWV?

A. The best way is probably to have a look at the PWV Facebook page periodically. We try to keep that page active and full of articles of interest to PWV volunteers. Plus, we use the page to announce upcoming activies and classes.

Q. I found a bug (mis-spelled word, incorrect fact, ludicrous explanation, or something else you should know about and fix ASAP) on the website. What should I do about it?

A. Use the Contact Us form at the top of the page to contact the responsible person in charge of the error. We try to be all over this kind of thing!